I’d like to welcome Mr. Walter O’Neill Jr. to my blog today and thank him for sharing his insite into being an author with us. He is working on a wonderful series about a bounty hunter that you will surely want to check out on your Kindle!
1. What is your name and where do you call home?
Walter O’Neill Jr home is where the heart is, although I now live in Largo FL, with my wife Vikki and my strange cat Squishy
2. Do you have a pen name?
Yes I do J.R. O’Neill
3. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or fewer words, what would you say?
“The Shadow Force Series Book One The Garden Planet, Episode One Anwar” It is the story of Jon Ryder galactic bounty hunter extraordinaire, in his fight to defeat a group of terrorists bent on the destruction of civilization.
4. Is the above book part of a series?
Yes, and it is being released in episodic parts book one “The Garden Planet” is comprised of 4 episodes, the second of which will be available on Kindle August 2013, with the completed work due out in paperback by Dec 1 for the Christmas shopping season.
5. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?
I never made the conscious decision to start writing, it just happened. The book the Garden Planet I originally wrote in the early 1990s on legal pads. It was just this year that I decided to re-write, and publish it. I have been inspired to start work on some other books and other genres. I am currently completing a historical novel called “Miami” it is the story of the founding and phenomenal growth of the city of Miami FL from 1908 Population 345 to the 1985 population 2,500,000 approximately. It follows the story of two families, and there ups and downs.
6. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book(s)?
Glen Barnhardt Designed the cover, we went through a couple of designs before settling on the final version.
7. Did you listen to any particular songs while writing your book(s)?
No, I rather have no distractions.
8. How did you come up with the title for your book(s)?
Well this book was originally titled the Garden Planet, the name came to me at the same time as the inspiration to write it, I was crossing the “Sunshine Skyway Bridge in Florida sometime in 1993 and the whole story as well as the title popped into my head, I wrote the first 20,000 or so words that very night, it was the first thing I had ever written. Now this year I found when I was contemplating publishing it, that the title was already available on kindle although not science fiction, I still decided to change the name somewhat to the Shadow Force book one The Garden Planet.
9. Do you have a book trailer? If so where can we watch it?
No not yet
10. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hard-covers or audio-books?
Paperbacks that way they are easy to carry around.
11. Are you a self-published/Indie author?
No, I didn’t really know how to do that so I am working with Glen Barnhardt at his new endeavor Blue Mountain Publishing, from Brooksville FL
12. If you’re a self-published/Indie author what made you go that route instead of the traditional publishing route?
Well I went through Glen because he made the entire deal effortless.
13. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it?
Oh yes, many, Tolkien, and Piers Anthony come to mind. I have reread their books many times.
14. What is your opinion of novellas?
I usually like books that are in the 2-3 hundred page range, yet I don’t really have a preference. I just love a good story with characters that I can have an emotional connection with.
15. Have you ever read a book just based on its cover?
All the time, and usually I am pleasantly surprised. I don’t think I have ever started a book and not finished it.
16. What is your favorite film based on a book?
To be honest I have always been disappointed by movies based on books, you lose so much of the story. I try never to see movies after I have read the book, the other way around works much better for me. Tom Clancy comes to mind.
17. What is your favorite book genre at the moment?
Well Sci-Fi I guess, as that is what I am working on.
18. What books have made it onto your wish list recently? And why?
I don’t get a chance to pay attention to what is coming out, (embarrassing I know) I tend to pick up whatever my wife is done with.
19. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format?
Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum novels, currently “Ten Big Ones” (Just starting)
20. If you could invite any four (4) celebrities (alive or dead) to your dinner party, who would you invite and why?
Jules Vern, and H G Wells, would top the list, I think they were time travelers. I would also invite Ronald Reagan, for advice, and Abraham Lincoln for courage. Twisting the question a bit if I could invite 4 of my characters from my novels, they would be Jon Ryder, Sara Osgood, Tom Kelly, and Shannon O’Brien.
21. What’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing?
Just keep writing no matter what.
22. Do you have any hobbies that aren’t related to reading & writing?
I enjoy siting by the ocean, boats in general, and exploring new places
23. Where can your readers follow you?
Goodreads author page: None (I think)