I’m excited to welcome Elaine Kaye, author of Halloween Ride to my blog. She is a children’s author with 6 published books and so many stories to tell.
Let’s start by finding out a little bit about you…
1. What is your name and do you write under a pen name?
Elaine Kaye is my pen name. Elaine is my given name, and Kathryn is my middle name, but I shortened it to Kay and added an “E” because it looked better. Pretty simple for me. Plus, it’s easy to remember for children’s books.
2. Do you have any hobbies, other than writing? What do you enjoy doing?
I enjoy all kinds of needlework, such as cross-stitch, knitting, crochet, and quilting. Also, on the craft side, I like to paint ceramics. Since I am retired now, I spend a lot of my time making bookmarks, reading, writing, and watching my favorite movies. I am a big fan of medical and cop TV dramas, like Station 19, New Amsterdam, The Rookie, and The Resident. I also binge watch Game of Thrones and Vikings.
3. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?
Back in 1982, when I worked at a telephone company, an office worker, whose desk faced mine, told me about a novel she was working on. I mentioned to her how I’ve always wanted to write, and she told me to go do it, so I did. That changed my life.
4. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hard-covers or audio-books?
I prefer paperbacks and hardcovers because I like the feel of a real book in my hands. I like the pages, the weight, all of it. Also, I can use the many cute bookmarks that I make by hand.
Let’s shift somewhat and talk about your latest story.
1. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or fewer words, what would you say?
Halloween Ride is about a boy and his teddy bear who take a ride on a broomstick on Halloween night.
2. Is the above book part of a series?
Yes, it is the third installment of A Gregory Green Adventure series, although each book can be read as a standalone title, and they can be read in any order you wish.
- Pea Soup Disaster
- Doctor Mom
- Halloween Ride
- The Missing Alphabet (coming June 2019)
- Sleigh Ride (coming November 2019)
3. How did you come up with the title for your book?
Well, it’s Halloween and they go on a broom ride, so quite simply it’s a Halloween Ride. Immediately you get an idea of what the story is about, what sort of adventure my characters will be having, which is best for children’s books.
4. What are some of Gregory Green’s favorite foods?
Pea soup! He eats a lot of it in Pea Soup Disaster, because he just loves his mom’s homemade pea soup, but something happens from eating all that pea soup thanks to the Green family curse.
Gregory also loves pizza, Cheez Balls, pickle-flavored chips, red licorice sticks, and raisins.
Sammy, his teddy bear, likes cookies (of all kinds), marshmallows, shelled peanuts, and…GUMMY BEARS!
5. What first gave you the idea for Halloween Ride?
I once had an idea of my characters flying up to the moon, which they almost do in Halloween Ride, and I wanted to start writing stories for each holiday, so the two ideas just meshed together on their own. The rest of the story unfolded naturally as I went.
Let’s talk now about your writing process.
1. Are you a self-published/Indie author or did you publish through a traditional publishing company?
I self-publish all of the books for A Gregory Green Adventure series. After many years, and I mean decades, of not getting anywhere traditionally with my children’s books, and finally having the means and resources to self-publish, I took the plunge.
2. Where can your readers follow you? Please list links to any applicable websites and/or social media accounts.