Talented jewelry designer and author Alene Geed answers the question “What is creativity” in her self-published book Inside The Mind of A Jewelry Designer.
1. What is your name and where do you call home?
Alene Geed. I live in Chandler Arizona (a suburb of Phoenix)
2. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or fewer words, what would you say?
Inside The Mind of A Jewelry Designer studies the compelling question, “What is creativity?” in an absorbing and personal look at the burgeoning career of jewelry designer, Alene Geed.
3. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?
I was approached by an Editor who found my jewelry site and profile online. She proposed the concept to me. Once the idea was in my subconscious, it would not leave me alone. Within a few days of the initial contact, I realized this was a project I could embrace!
4. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book?
My editor offered a few designs based upon an artistic interpretation of the Rohrshach (inkblot) test. I chose one that most resembled a butterfly; to represent transformation.
5. Did you listen to any particular songs while writing your book(s)?
I listened to Mozart and Beethoven. Both these composers enhance my creativity and do not distract with lyrics.
6. How did you come up with the title for your book?
The idea came from another collaborator that was helping me with my SEO and online presence. She asked me to become more conversational and let others know what I am thinking… because ‘those of us who are not artists want to know what goes on inside your head” Her words stayed with me and ultimately became the inspiration for the title!
7. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hard-covers or audio-books?
Personally I am old school and love the feel of printed books. My second choice is audio book, especially when the book is read by the author.
8. Are you a self-published/Indie author?
Self published through Create Space and Kindle
9. If you’re a self-published/Indie author what made you go that route instead of the traditional publishing route?
This was the direction given to me by my editor/collaborator.
10. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it?
Yes, I have re-read many of Emmett Fox’s books. And still LOVE to pursue Marilyn Ferguson’s Aquarian Conspiracy! (after all these years)
11. What is your opinion of novellas?
I like novellas; as long as the story can be developed well in the shorter format. I much prefer this to reading a 700 page novel!
12. Have you ever read a book just based on its cover?
I have been attracted to many books based upon the cover. That being said, I do read the synopsis and reviews before purchasing.
13. What is your favorite film based on a book?
The Godfather. This is one of the few movies that is a complete representation of the book.
14. What is your favorite book genre at the moment?
I have always loved mysteries. Since I have read so many of them over the years, it takes a lot to hold my interest. Some of my current favorites are Craig Johnson, CJ Box and Lee Child.
15. What books have made it onto your wish list recently? And why?
Philippa Gregory ‘The White Princess’. I am fascinated with this subject matter. (British Royalty) Anything new from Orson Scott Card (science fiction). What an imagination he has!
16. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format?
Currently : T Jefferson Parker’s Black Water in hard cover.
17. If you could invite any four (4) celebrities (alive or dead) to your dinner party, who would you invite and why?
Albert Schweitzer: I have so admired him since I was a teenager and learned of him.
Napoleon Hill: love his philosophy on life
Marilyn Ferguson: I heard her speak over 30 years ago & have not forgotten the experience.
Blake Shelton (he can bring Miranda, too). Love THE VOICE and his easy manner. He would be lots of fun, I think.
18. What’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing?
Dig Deep. Bare your Soul. Readers WANT to know what makes you (or your character in the case of fiction) tick!
19. Do you have any hobbies that aren’t related to reading & writing?
Jewelry Design… my PASSION! Hiking.
20. Where can your readers follow you?
I want to thank Alene for giving us a glimpse into her artistic world. If you are interested in jewelry please be sure to check out her site at www.alenesadornments.com you are sure to fall in love with her creations.