The other day, I was asked, ‘The Apocalypse is Coming, What Do You Stock Up On?‘
An apocalypse, taken from the Greek language, actually means a disclosure of knowledge, hidden from humanity in an era dominated by falsehood and misconception, i.e., a lifting of the veil or revelation. However, today we think of an apocalypse in reference to the End Times, or the end of the world.
Considering the question at hand, I was torn between writing about what I would stock up on if someone was going to bestow unto me information – a disclosure of knowledge… or writing about a Zombie Apocalypse. Obviously based on the title of my blog I have chosen the Zombie Apocalypse approach.
However, I did feel that the ‘disclosure of knowledge’ concept deserved further review as well. So here it is in a nut shell…
Not knowing if the information/knowledge would make me happy, sad, angry, hurt, frustrated, excited, or any other emotion one could feel when learning something… I had no idea what to stock up on. So this was my final list:
- Tissue (in case I cry)
- Chocolate (in case I find myself and my children locked in a closet and scared.)
- Tennis Shoes (in case a fight ensues – yes I said tennis shoes – you need comfortable feet if you’re going to fight.)
- Paper and Pen (in case the information leads to a creative outburst and I feel the need to write or draw.)
- Ice (Because you always need ice.)
Okay… now onto the Zombies…
In today’s society, when we hear apocalypse we think of the End Times… or the end of the world. So, because I am a huge fan of The Walking Dead, I love reading and writing YA novels, and because Zombies are just plain cool… Other than making sure my family was with me, this is what I would stock up on if the Zombie Apocalypse really was upon us:
- Bottled Water
- Canned foods – to include vegetables and pre-cooked meats
- MREs (Military pre packaged ready to eat meals)
- P-nut Butter (good for protein and yummy in my tummy)
- Powdered Milk – Yes, I would still make my kids drink their milk!
- Vitamins – Hello, most likely we’re going to run out of food at some point, and vitamins are essential
- Wooden Chair Legs – They can easily be sharpened to a point to be used as a stake – Stake them in the eye and through the brain!
- Knives, axes, pretty much anything with a blade – if I need to explain this one, you are not even close to ready for the Zombie Apocalypse.
- Matches and lighters – Zombies can be killed if set on fire – just make sure you have room to get away so they don’t grab you and kill you in the process.
- Shot Gun, Handgun, bullets (Yeah, I think this is pretty obvious)
CLOTHING: (Just the basics)
- A couple pair of underwear (in a backpack)
- Clean socks
- Good hiking boots
- Comfortable clothes I can move quickly in
- Flashlights with extra batteries
- Walkie Talkies with extra batteries
I left one open… just in case
Comment below and tell me; the apocalypse is coming, what do you stock up on?