Today’s #MindfulnessMonday Tip: Did you know that a great way to increase your own personal joy and happiness is to increase the joy and happiness of others?
Use visualization to help make a habit of doing at least one act of kindness each and every day!
- Step 1: FOCUS ON YOUR BREATHING – Settle into a comfortable position, either sitting or laying down. Focus on your breathing and allow your body to rest, but don’t fall asleep.
- Step 2: REFLECTION – Reflect on the people in your life that you will be seeing today, or tomorrow if you’re doing this exercise in the evening. Is there something you could do to help them, make them a little happier, or take some of their stress away?
- Step 3: VISUALIZATION – Visualize yourself doing an act of kindness for that person. What would that act of kindness be?
- Step 4: EXPLORE YOUR FEELINGS – How does the idea of doing this act of kindness make you feel? Explore these feelings.
- Step 5: ACT OF KINDNESS – As soon as possible, do this act of kindness for this friend, family member, co-worker. If you are to busy to do it right away, make sure you write the idea down and plan to do it sooner rather than later.
Utilizing the steps above, focus on your breathing and then, once relaxed think of the people in your life. Who do you know that might need a little help, something to make them smile, or just a call to say hello and brighten their day? Once you have someone in mind decide what you can do, right now, to help increase their joy.
2. Mindfulness Joy Journaling:
I want you to write a list of the people in your life that you think could use a little help or a boost in joy. These can be your friends, family, or even co-workers.
Once you’ve created your list, write down one or two things you can do for each person within the next two weeks. This could be as simple as a call, a hug, sending a letter or a card, or meeting up for coffee.
Then all you have to do is find time over the next couple weeks to complete each of the tasks on your list.