I’m a list girl.
I think I’ve said it before, but now I can really confirm it. I participated in my first Con as an author with a table and everything, and I learned so much!
So, I’m here to give you my best ‘To Do List’ for when you are attending a convention as an author.
Lets get started.
- Bring two tablecloths – one to be used as a tablecloth and one to be used at the end of each day to cover your display. Bringing an extra, just in case something goes wrong, isn’t a bad idea.
- Bring water – You’ll be talking with lots of people and dry mouth is never fun when you are trying to make a good first impression.
- Bring CANDY – Have a bowl of candy sitting on your table for people to take from. No, they aren’t going to buy it from you but it will draw them closer to your table so you can strike up a conversation.
- Have the book blurb printed and sitting in front of your book display – this allows people to read the book description without having to pick up your book (causing possible damage to the cover). This also is great for introverts who don’t really want to talk to you, but they can still learn about your books and see if they are interested.
- Take photos – This is something I really failed at. I took a few photos but failed to take enough to really document and remember the event.
- Plan a GIVEAWAY – have a sign-up so people can join your mailing list and then do a drawing for FREE STUFF! I gave away two gift bags full of fun stuff, a copy of one of my books, jar of candy, bookmarks, book cover magnets, notebooks, travel mug, fun vampire cup, and more. Think of a giveaway that goes along with the theme of your book(s) and make it fun.
- Guest Book – Sit a guest book out for people to sign and write in. While you sign their book you can ask them to sign your guest book. It’s a fun and easy way to look back on the event with fond memories. I am turning mine into a scrapbook and including photos and event materials.
- Decorate your Table – If it isn’t eye-catching people won’t approach you, but don’t over do it. Make sure there is just enough to bring people in but not so much that they feel overwhelmed.
- Freshen Up – Don’t be afraid to step away now and then to freshen up your makeup and/or hair and to stretch your legs. You’d be surprised what a little freshening up will do for your photos and what a stretch will do for your attitude.
Well, that is my advice. If you have advice to share please do so in the comments below. I know I would love to hear from anyone else who has participated in a Con at a vendor and/or author, and I’m sure my readers would too.
One random winner will receive a FREE autographed copy of AWAKEN book 1 ~ Blood Angel Series
Awaken ~ a Blood Angel novel (BOOK 1)
Awaken is set in a world very much like our own, yet Atlanta isn’t just an ordinary city and Alee Moyer isn’t just an ordinary girl. Having barely survived her childhood it will take the death of her father for the truth of her true bloodline to come out. Even if it means losing her life, or at least her identity she won’t be able to escape her true destiny as the first surviving Dhampir in history. Surrounded by a new world where the horror films she grew up watching have become reality and the most unlikely characters have become her lifeline, Alee will struggle to find herself and her purpose.
HOW TO BE ENTERED IN THE CONTEST…
Enter Before: 5/18/14 | WINNER WILL BE ANNOUNCED: 5/19/14
Complete the form at the bottom of this blog and complete at least one of the following:
- Follow @Nina_Soden on Twitter and tweet about the Giveaway (#Awaken #BloodAngelSeries @Nina_Soden)
- Like the BloodAngelSeries Facebook page www.facebook.com/BloodAngelSeries and invite your friends to like it too.
- Add a link to www.ninasoden.wordpress.com on your Blog (Provide a link to your blog in your comment)
- Tell your friends (Post an active link to this giveaway on your blog, facebook group, LinkedIn, Twitter, or any other place where you think people would like to hear about the chance to win! Note: You can do this once per day, but each entry must be a different community and you must post here when the link/post is complete so it can be checked.)
For additional contest entries, complete two or more of the above actions. Be sure to include details of which of the above items you are completing in your comment below.
Okay everyone… this is a first for me and I am SUPER EXCITED!!! What better way than a BOOK GIVEAWAY to discover great new books from the latest authors???
In the spirit of discovering new authors I want to discover new readers. I will be giving away one copy of each of my books…
So, if you would like to enter to win… please leave a comment below telling me:
- which book you would like to win: AWAKEN (book #1) or BEGINNINGS (book #2),
- why I should pick you as the winner, and
- your email address (so I can contact you directly if you win to get your mailing address).
To visit all the April Spring Into Books Giveaway Blog Hop participants join the Shelf Stacker Goodreads Group